Sunday, December 25, 2011

Happy Sailors Wake Up To Xmas - Volvo Ocean Race Update

On this Christmas morning, the first time since the fifth race in 1989-90 that sailors competing in the premier round the world race have been at sea on this special day, CAMPER (Chris Nicholson/AUS) continued to fight off any advances from second-placed Telefónica (Iker Martínez/ESP) just 12 nautical miles astern.
Photo: Hamish Hooper/Camper ETNZ/Volvo Ocean Race
However, there are still plenty of natural hazards and light and variable winds to negotiate before the fleet reaches the conclusion of this first stage of Leg 2.
Photo: Amory Ross/PUMA Ocean Racing/Volvo Ocean Race
The beleaguered PUMA’s Mar Mostro (Ken Read/USA) and Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing’s Azzam (Ian Walker/GBR) have both picked up some good speeds, 13 and 18.5 knots average speed respectively, while Groupama 4 and Franck Cammas is sandwiched in third place making just over 11 knots. With only 12 nm separating the first two at 1000 UTC today, and Cammas an ominous 56 nm behind, this leg is far from over and the chasing pack is putting serious pressure on.
Photos:  Diego Fructuoso/Team Telefonica/Volvo Ocean Race
Points for this two-stage leg are divided: 80 per cent is allotted for the first stage and the remaining 20 per cent awarded for the sprint to the finish in Abu Dhabi. This means 24 points for a stage one win, 20 for second, 16 for third, 12 for fourth, 8 for fifth and 4 for sixth. In between, there is a pitstop when the fleet will be shipped from their safe haven to a point nearer to Abu Dhabi to avoid the ever-present threat of piracy.
Photo: Nick Dana/Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing/Volvo Ocean Race
The crews will have been awake most of the night, trimming sails and stacking gear in order to make their boats go faster.
Leg 2
Report: 25/12/2011 10:01:42 UTC
DTLDTLCBS
1CMPR (STE)0.0008.3
2TELE (STE)12.0069.3
3GPMA (STE)56.301311.4
4PUMA (STE)80.401913
5ADOR (STE)181.303418.5
-SNYASuspended Racing
Volvo Ocean Race Media

No comments: